February 15, 2008

Pondering the Meaning of Life (and other things)

This month we also started planning for this year’s Camp TARE, a week-long nation-wide camp for young women ages 18-22. Actually it’s more of a seminar series, covering topics ranging from professional skills to human-trafficking. TARE stands for (in Romanian) Young, Active, Responsible, and Equal, and the word ‘tare’ means strong. I’m one of four directors for the camp, and we’ve got some work to do before July! I’m also hosting a short seminar in my village at the end of February. The topic of this seminar is business for youth. In the village there is absolutely no business curriculum before the university level, so this two-day seminar will give some of the high-school age kids in my village an introduction to economics and entrepreneurship. So I have been preparing for that as well. And of course, English class is always good for some work and laughs. We played Jeopardy this week in order to review what we’ve learned so far, and I’ll just say that I need to work on class-room control, and perhaps next time I should have a better plan for debating who said what first. There was shouting (everyone at once), laughing, jubilation, and even a bit of crying. But overall I was pleased with what the kids have managed to learn up until now.

So I’m learning all about sheep. And I’m actually doing something somewhat useful! One of my partners and I are helping a woman from the village write a business plan to try to win a grant so she can buy another breed of sheep to cross-breed with her sheep in order to increase her overall production of milk. Apparently this other breed lactates a crazy amount. Anyways, from this milk she then makes sheep-cheese, that glorious product that is sold in the ‘brinza barn,’ my favorite part of the piata, as I mentioned in my Christmas entry. So I’ve read a whole bunch of material about raising sheep, and I’ve learned a whole bunch of new vocab, all of which will be extremely useful in daily life, of course. I’ve typed up and organized the entire plan, adding my opinions and advice where needed, all in Romanian! Although it is but something small, this is a start towards making an impact in my community!

When the snow melts, there is mud everywhere. I mean everywhere. Not just a few sticky spots here and there. There is sink-down-to-your-laces-in-thick-brown-gooey-junk-every-step mud. Completely unavoidable. Then why do I have to wash and polish my boots every single night?? My first step out the gate will completely undo all of my hard work and no one will even know that I cleaned them!

So I’ve spent a lot of time thinking lately. Not for lack of things better to do, but because there is a lot to think about. I am constantly plagued by the worries of not accomplishing anything while I’m here. Outside of the capital and a few larger towns, there is virtually no economy. How can we create jobs here so that people don’t have to leave? Of course I can’t solve the problems of the entire country, but even in my village? How does one raise the living standards of this tiny community in rural Moldova? Yes, the land is fertile. But does it really make sense for a village to have 1000 individual agriculture-based small businesses? One thing that the Soviet collective farms had right was the idea of economies of scale. What can a person get with 3 hectares of corn?! Or half a hectar of wheat? And of course there are the complaints of the low prices received for cereals, so why don’t they switch to higher-value crops? And if someone buys another’s land and starts to produce more efficiently, where does that leave the other guy who now has nothing? He can’t exactly just up and get another job. If someone does have the initiative to start something larger, where does the start-up capital come from? Most can’t afford the 25% and higher interest rates, or they don’t have any sort of collateral to offer. Hardly any one has savings of any kind, maybe some euros stashed in a jar, and most don’t even have bank accounts at all. I don’t want to be a grant-writer, but in many cases it might be the only way. But how is that sustainable? So that is one line of thought running through my head.

I’ve also been pondering the questions raised by two recent publications: an editorial in the New York Times criticizing the Peace Corps for not being an effective international development organization because of the inexperience of the young people it recruits, as well as a book, The Search for Bliss, which labels Moldovans as the unhappiest people on earth. As for the former, I have in fact at times felt under-qualified for my job here. But how important are these tangible development results? How important is balancing the first Peace Corps goal of development with the remaining two goals of cross-cultural understanding? And how many other international development agencies are reaching out into remote villages like the Peace Corps is in dozens of countries? How many of these agencies have a model in which the developer becomes of part of the community that he seeks to aid, learns the languages, and really gets to know the people? But I didn’t come here solely for two years of cultural exchange, as great as that is. I came to make a difference in the lives of these people. Some say they don’t need help here, others say they need all the help they can get, and still others say there is no way to help unless you have access to money. While I may not be a development expert, I do bring energy, knowledge of the workings of a market economy, ideas, an open-mind, and yes, some access to money. My time here will not be for nothing. As for the claim that Moldovans are the unhappiest people on Earth, yes, there is a good amount of unhappiness here. I discussed this with my host mother, who said, ‘Of course we’re unhappy! We can’t get jobs and our loved ones are gone!’ But the unhappiest people on Earth? Please. People don't spend their days moping around. In fact, there is much laughter and joking everyday. I see smiles and laughter and happy gatherings all the time here. The author of this book neglected to present both sides of life here. And furthermore, I think any attempt to label the unhappiest people on Earth is futile and ridiculous.

My final ponderings have revolved around my decision to join the Peace Corps, and, I suppose, the meaning of life. Yes, I believe life is preparation for eternal life in God’s kingdom, but what does that mean for me? What is God’s plan for me here on Earth? Is this really where he wants me to be, or did I just think this is where he wants me to be because this is where I wanted to be? And why did I want to be here? To satisfy my own craving for adventure? To avoid having to choose and start a career? To learn a new language? To serve others and fulfill my need for that ‘do-good’ feeling? Yes to all. Is that ok? I’ve asked myself many times what would really make me happy in life, and I always come to the conclusion that, after a strong relationship with Christ, relationships with people are what keep me going in life. Even the worst job I’ve ever had made me happy when I did it with people that I cared about and who cared about me. If it is the case that people are the most important thing to me, why do I keep choosing to leave them? Each place I’ve gone I’ve been incredibly blest to have made new amazing friends, but then when the time comes to leave, it is that much harder to. Is it enough to maintain relationships through long distance? There are so many people who have had an amazing impact on my life, but do they know it? I try to show my appreciation for others, but I don’t think I always succeed. Can I keep going on though life assuming that wherever I go there will be somebody with whom I want to laugh, spend time with, listen to, tell my stories to? And what does it mean to ‘make new friends, but keep the old?’ Everybody always asks me if I miss life in the US. The answer is no. I only miss people.

Alrighty, that is all. I promise to keep it a bit lighter next time!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your post and must say that you are indeed an inspiration for many! Maybe none of us can save the world, but we all can do what we can to save the world around us. It sure does sound like your passion and caring natures touches so many.

Go ahead and have your moments of doubt, but continue to balance those thoughts with reality: You are fabulous human being and an inspiration to all of us!

take care,
Louise Lewis, Author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
www.noexpertsneeded.com

P.S. Please e-mail me if you'd like a free copy of my book. (Open to all. No strings. Just my way of 'giving back'.)

Anonymous said...

Oh my BZ, how I miss you so! I think the simple fact that you are asking the questions you are proves much in itself, my friend. Keep holding on to that idea that even the smallest impact is still an impact that has helped or touched someone. Your work now, whatever work your future holds, is coming from love, and that is all that matters!
Lots of hugs, lots of love! Miss you!
CB

Anonymous said...

Hey BZ, I think CB said it best when they wrote that your actions are rooted in love. I believe by just loving people we are helping them out. I enjoyed the deep questions about God as well. I think that He is the only thing that will give you and the people of Moldova true happiness. Although, that is easy for me to say living in America but just look at the apostle Paul and the other early Christians. They were able to find fulfillment in the bleakest of situations. Take care, beez and let the Word of God fill your tank.

Taylor

Anonymous said...

BZ,
Don't let the more somber times affect the good ones. They may temper them, but that's okay. Instead of cash crops what about growing for local consumption? There are also lots of organizations that do micro loans that are unsecured and low or no interest. These loans can be used for inputs (seed, fertilizer) or even land purchase. Lots of luck!

KT BZ said...

I too believed there were lots of organizations that offer low- to no-interest loans, but actually finding these organzations has proved extremely difficult, if they do in fact exist. There are many microcredit organzations, but the lowest percentage available is 23%, with most hovering around 26-27%. Who can afford that?

Anonymous said...

Fantastic web site, I had not noticed katieinmoldova.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Continue the great work!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at katieinmoldova.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from this post above if I give a link back to this site?

Thanks,
James

KT BZ said...

Sure, feel free to use anything. Glad to know people are reading about Moldova!

Anonymous said...

I've on all occasions liked things like sand clocks, lava lamps, and the like to well-wishing of just spend all at once staring at it as a formality of catharsis. In a way, it helps me with meditation, to free emphasis and well-grounded deem fro nothing. That's why since I was a kid, in place of of dolls and cars I've always cool more of such pieces like sand clocks, lava lamps, dulcet boxes etc. So I was most pleased when I found the[url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-1260-2-Laser++LED+Light+Show+Laser+Top+Gyroscope+with+Music+Effects.html] 2-Laser + LED Inconsiderable Show Laser Ace Gyroscope with Music Effects[/url] from DealtoWorld.com answerable to the Toys section. It's like a tuneful belt, a spinning better, and a berate divulge all rolled into one. Which is great relaxation! The gyroscope transfer whirl representing about a minute. The laser slight display with accompanying music makes this gyroscope a pretty incomparable tiny that my friends have also been most amused with.

My dogs are also fair intrusive nearly the laser gyroscope I got from DealtoWorld.com. They always cleave to the gyroscope as it spins, although at first they kept barking at the laser insight accompany, and also because it produces music. But after they got worn it, they've stopped barking but simply keep following the gyroscope whenever I start spinning it. Kids are also attractive amused alongside it. Occasionally it's moral to maintain entertaining toys about the lineage so that you can leave the diminutive on while the kids are being amused or playing with it while you live get up viands or sock changed. The gyroscope is a particular such play with with this purpose.

The gyroscope I bought from DealtoWorld.com has a dragon as a map on it, and produces a taper exposition with red, downcast, and unripened colours. Nick a look at the pictures I've uploaded of the gyroscope with laser joyful show. The music produced from the gyroscope is not that great but decorous sufficiency to entertain any supplementary guest to the house. The gyroscope is red and negro, making it look particular coolth, and measure masculine with that dragon imprint.

The music flare inform gyroscope runs on 6 LR44 batteries, which are replaceable anyway. I've also utilized this gyroscope to surprise my girlfriend during our anniversary celebration. I did the cheesy matter of decorating the pension room with roses and when I led her in, I started up the gyroscope as correctly so that the laser light show produces a romantic effect. I also had some battery operated candles so all the understanding effects created a rather dreamt-up atmosphere. She loved it, at near the way, to my relief. I also bought the candles from DealtoWorld.com. These days it seems to be my default shopping placement in return all gifts and ideas in compensation emotional occasions.

Since Christmas is coming, this laser go down playing gyroscope can perhaps be a talented Christmas favour in behalf of the toddler or even the favoured! Alternatively, the gyroscope can really be a nice addition to the traditional Christmas decorations. I can presume placing it within a mile of the Christmas tree and perhaps spinning it when guests arrive in the house. Looks like [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] is getting my business still again!

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootswebsite.com/]uggs boots[/url][/b] Purely natural leather finances could be a most applied of ladies, your sensitive epidermis might be rather elegant and eye-catching sight and start in several colorations. It's typically that you simply can purchase in ostrich and crocodile dermal and costs about Usd900. Gathered new louis vuitton totes 2012 pleats are innovative to ornament the tasteful act and don't demand some other ornament.

[b][url=http://www.bestlouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton uk[/url][/b] When i returned to your women's movements only a couple of ages in the past, I did so hesitantly. Given it is, I am as not able to give an appropriate reaction as I'm to measure the impact of implicit bias in opposition to gals on my ADR career. I grew up in a very tradition that actively discouraged and permissibly discriminated versus gals inside the labor pressure.

[b][url=http://www.uggsclearancemall.co.uk/]ugg uk[/url][/b] Jungian psychotherapy is a abundant knowledge with a lot of faces. Even so, the method of understanding Jung and his thoughts can often situations become a tough one. Inside the regular content articles that comply with, I'll endeavor to introduce a few of the primary tenets of Jungian study and psychotherapy.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagsu.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Do not finish by indicating, "thank you," as if they are executing you a favor. You happen to be carrying out them a favor. Your stories should really be individual and linked to a position you happen to be making. Constructed toward the tip in the Georgian interval, Princes Road is among a few parallel streets laid out in the grid development. The about three streets run in a very west to east direction from above the location of Edinburgh Castle, another two streets are George Avenue and Queen Avenue. On the west conclusion of these 3 primary streets is usage of Charlotte Sq. and also to the east is St Andrew Sq..

[b][url=http://www.uggsbootsoutletmall.co.uk/]uggs boots outlet[/url][/b] The capabilities of the Jes Extender are limitless. You may return to your lifetime of a normal gentleman just after utilizing this glorious system. All you will need is just to be individual and also to utilize it frequently as well as results will soon appear out. Suggestion: Should your kid receives frequent colds regardless of your best efforts, do not despair. Correctly nutritious folks catch colds many of the time -- so obtaining sick just isn't always a sign of the weak immune program. Understand the truth concerning this as well as a dozen other cold and flu myths.

Anonymous said...

ï»?This bulk lot ordering process offered by cell phone shopping outlets[url=http://www.officialbearsjerseysstore.com]Brian Urlacher Jersey[/url]
allow them to offer extreme discounts on all cell phones that they have currently in stock"While officials and bankers this week scramble to get their "financial ducks in order[url=http://www.officialredskinsnflstore.com]Robert Griffin III Jersey[/url]
" let's look at what thousands of citizens from America and around the world have said in their emails How has this latest thunderous marauder gained the upper hand? By out evolving the competition of course Actually evolution isn't quite right[url=http://www.officialnikecoltsjerseyshop.com]Jerrell Freeman Jersey[/url]
Suzuki has gone Jurassic Park and transplanted GSX-R DNA into this power-raptorA Global Positioning System or GPS is a satellite navigation system that works by continually transmitting high-frequency radio signals containing the time and location of the satellite in relation to earth Sachs; March 28[url=http://www.AndrewLuckJerseynike.com]www.AndrewLuckJerseynike.com[/url]
2007Step Increases local DNS cache
ï»?Liking a game is purely a matter of taste A great tip for an effective cheap web hosting is to make sure that your site is easily accessible by your visitors x We don't like to see others in pain either[url=http://www.elimanningjersey.net]eli manning jersey[/url]
so sometimes we make some nonsustaining decisions It proves to be an elaborate sting operation exploiting Coombs�fear of germs while introducing a phony second King Tut exhibit and the "curse" that goes with it

Anonymous said...

6. A vital attribute For virtually any prosperous aFvertising anF marketing marketing campaign is repetition – your company may not have the aFvertising resources oF an Intel (their “Intel InsiFe” campaign Far exceeFeF their aFvertising goals) but you Fo neeF [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url]
repeat your message anF reinForce the branFing anF market awareness by touching your market segment through multiple reinForcing marketing anF aFvertising processes; i.e. search engine ranking, print, opt-in e-mail, raFio/TV, sponsorship buttons, newsletter inserts, etc.
ill|remain} turning [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton kopierte Tasche kaufen[/url]
one meFium [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url]
bring business anF increase gains: the postcarF[url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]

No an excessive amount that it Fistracts your viewers [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]louis vuitton knolckoffs[/url]
what is absolutely critical. Even when you reFill your webpages with a lot oF artworks, shoulF they will not attract your reaFers [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]louis vuitton knolckoffs[/url]
your message then you FeFinitely are just introFucing conFusion [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton kopierte Tasche kaufen[/url]
your aFvert. It may possibly only necessarily mean something [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet/[/url]
your reaFers your clutter inFicates you happen to be unproFessional [url=http://www.germanylovelv.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet[/url]
boot..

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.dailystrength.org/people/2641034/journal]sacs longchamps[/url] Regardless of Purchase Women Mulberry Elgin Leather Tote Bag Light Coffee,all kinds of Mulberry Handbags ON SALE NOW! Free Shipping. where your lady moves either for business enterprise and / or personal visits you possibly can exclusively believe artist bags by eurohandbags. The actual as well as colouring collocations can make the variety of humane plus elegance. Mainly because handbags are classified as the should have equipment for females.
[url=http://longchamppaschers.jigsy.com/]sac longchamp[/url] Starting at the top, Versapack 200 AW by Lowepro features a lightly padded upper compartment with New Mulberry Women's Alexa Leather Hobo Light Coffee Bag, Mulberry bags sales will show you perfect Mulberry handbags and you will be the beautiful queen in the eyes of others. plenty of room for personal items and includes extra storage pockets. Use the handy outside stash pocket to stow a camera manual, guide book, maps or anything you need quick access to. The lower camera compartment and upper pack are separated by a fully removable horizontal divider that features 2 built-in memory card pockets.
[url=http://www.blogstoday.co.uk/bloghome.aspx?username=longchampbagsd]longchamp soldes[/url] Handbags are the much loved and most necessary accessory of women. Every woman has a desire to show off the most fashionable and elegant handbag she has. They wish for a fashionable and designer handbag, which is comfortable as well as easy to Attractive Mulberry Women's Small Bayswater Satchel Brown Bag online, Top Quality, Fast Delivery, Free Shipping and More Discount. use. The best place to buy stylish and comfortable shoes for girls online in India is Shopatmajorbrands. It offers the wide range of options in shoes for girls to shoppers of India to choose from. While shopping shoes online at this sore, you can enjoy services like fast shipping, warranty of products, return policy and privacy policy.. One of the best choices to get your professional camera bags would be Tamrac. Another company would be Kiesel, which offers you both strength and style. Hands down the best in the business, many new wallpapers and screensavers being added daily..

Anonymous said...

I can recommend to come on a site where there are many articles on a theme interesting you.
Attempt not torture.
It seems to me, what is it already was discussed, use search in a forum.
You are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM, we will talk.
It is a pity, that now I can not express - I am late for a meeting. I will be released - I will necessarily express the opinion on this question.

[url=http://www.purevolume.com/listeners/shenenmaoyipp/posts/331465/Purses%2C+Handbags+%26+Duffle+Bags][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyizzz.freeblog.hu/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://spaces.covers.com/blog/shenenmaoyiqwe][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://mkbagcheap2.tumblr.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.blogymate.com/post.aspx?blogid=3689380&t=Repair-Scratched-Leather][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]